Thursday, December 9, 2010

Suicide Intervention - Signs to Recognise

In my last post, I gave a overview of the ASIST course I did last week. Now I want to cover the basic steps involved in the ASIST model. This is not meant to be a substitute for training, but reading and absorbing this might just help you approach the subject with someone at risk of suicide and save a life.

Becoming Suicide Alert - Recognising Signs or ‘Invitations to talk':

The first thing to look at is how people are coping after stressful events with feelings of loss. This could be any crisis or event which is very significant to the person. It may not seem huge to you but it's how they feel about it and how it's affecting them that you need to be aware of it. For example, a pet dying may not seem that massive to you but it may be devastating to their owner. Likewise, some people cope pretty well with unemployment, but many take it as a huge blow. Any life event can be stressful, depending on our reaction to it. If there are feelings of loss after the event, the risk is higher. 


In addition, look out for any of the signs listed below under four categories: Thoughts, Actions, Physical Signs and Feelings. Look out for these signs and be suicide alert. 

How to intervene / what to do next will be outlined in my next post. 

THOUGHTS
Sometimes thoughts are expressed verbally. Listen for:





“I won’t be needing these things anymore”

“I can’t do anything right”

I can’t think straight anymore”

“I can’t take it anymore”

“I wish I was dead”

“Everyone will be better off without me”

“All my problems will end soon”

“No one can help me now”

“Now I know what they were going through” 







Understanding the suicidal mind… 

HATE 

PAIN 

FEAR 

HOPELESS 

FAILURE 

DESPERATION 

SHAME 

LET DOWN 

HURT 

BLAME 

NO WAY OUT 

TRAPPED 

OUT OF CONTROL 

SADNESS 

OVERWHELMED 

ALONE 

DISAPPOINTMENT 

“I can’t stop myself thinking, I wish I could turn off, I hate myself,
I’m just not good enough, 
I am tired of life, I’ve had enough”  
Male, aged 19

(This list 'Understanding the Suicidal Mind' and quote came from slides by Professor Rory O'Connor, Stirling University)

No comments:

Post a Comment